Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Blog Assignment #7

Learning by a computer mouse
The Networked Video
When watching this video, I had mixed emotions throughout it. In this video of learning in the 21st century, there is a detailed description of how a student learns a topic on an online basis. The student does the research himself with help from his sources on his personal network. He puts all of his information together and shares it for anyone else who may be researching the same top may see his work.

 The first problem I had with this is about the facts. Where are the facts about the subject. It is easy to find someone's opinion about a topic on the internet but finding the actual facts isn't as easy. But when after I thought of this way of learning, I understood a little better. I do think that when you find something on your own, it is easier to remember. So with this idea in hand, maybe having the student do his own research with the topic will benefit him in the long run. The 21st century seems to be getting away from the teacher informing the student of just the facts so I should be more accepting of this from of learning.

 When the question is asked about if teachers will be still be needed, it get's my thoughts going wild! Of course we will always need teachers. Previous assignments have really got this to be my current soap box. Without teachers, ours students would not know where to start! Who will guide them in the right direction? Students' dependance on me might be completely different than it was in the previous century but they are still dependent on their teacher. Like the video said, we are here to guide them in the right direction, be their model, teach them how to decipher good information and anything else the internet may throw their way. Teachers will always be needed. I strongly disagree with anyone who says otherwise.

 I am learning a lot about building a personal network. I am starting to see more importance of it. I think the best part is being able to see others. If I have a great resource, I would love to share it with other so it could benefit their teaching careers. I'm sure there are others who feel the same way. At the end of the day, it is our students who matter. All teachers should have this in common, so, what other place to get better ideas from than those who share the same views? Go get to sharing!

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment
This video of a 7th grader's PLN makes me want to make my own and share it with anyone who does not know about them. I think it is wonderful that students are being taught to be organized with their work as well as being taught responsibility about their work. I like how the student mentioned that she does not get the option to NOT do her work but she gets the option do her work in a way that excites her. Their teacher is promoting creativity among the students and I think that is wonderful. Her students are probably learning a great amount of knowledge by being able to do the research and post it in way that is unique to their selves.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facts on the internet are everywhere. You can find them on Wikipedia, and, if you don't consider Wikipedia a true source like so many narrow-minded poeple, you can go to the sources cited on Wikipedia, which are legitimate sources. Facts are as easy to come by on the internet as opinion.

    I'm glad to see you're so passionate about students needing teachers, but there are all kinds of teachers that aren't necessarily in the classroom or even people. The internet could be a teacher, the people we communicate with every day. I learn just as much, probably even more, outside of school than I do in. But teachers, educators in a classroom, do make excellent guides, I can't argue with that.

    You might want to watch out for straying question marks and unnecessary words. Otherwise, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post replaces two earlier post which I should have proofread. A few corrections have been made that correct writing errors but do not change the substance of this post.

    "Where are the facts about the subject." You need a ? at the end of this question. And I have a rather important comment to make about it.

    I often say facts are irrelevant. My wife (who taught school for over 30 years) always argues with me when I say that. I mean it, however. Facts are often disputed, even things we consider as facts.

    I remember sitting next to a member of the New Jersey State Board of Education just before I was to give a speech. He was beaming with pride when he told me that finally the Board was insisting that kids learn important historical facts such as when the Civil War started. I was rather surprised and asked him when that was - when the first shot was fired on American soldiers by rebels?; when slavery was introduced into the United States?; when the North freed itself from the economic need for slaves and began to try and force the agrarian South to end slavery?; when Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation?; when the first seven rebelling states declared they were no longer part of the Union but instead had formed The Confederate States of America? You can make an argument for all of these "dates." And it is totally unimportant, I think, to have to know them. Instead it is important to want to answer the question; to know how to gather information that might result in an answer; to know how to gather evidence necessary to answer the question; to sort thorough the evidence to reach a tentative conclusion or conclusions; and then to clarify the question and ask new questions in order to start this process all over again.

    You continue by saying "It is easy to find someone's opinion about a topic on the internet but finding the actual facts isn't as easy." Correct. In fact we should be as skeptical of "facts" as of opinions. It is the thinking process that I see as critical for an educated person. If we merely dispense "facts" - our facts - then we fail as educators. If we only test for facts, we are doing our students a great disservice. We probably should not test for a knowledge of "facts" at all!

    Your writing could be improved. Some suggestions:
    "...there is a detailed description of how a student learns a topic on an online basis." Just say: there is a detailed description of how a student learns online.

    "But when after I thought of this way of learning, I understood a little better." Omit the But when.

    "When the question is asked about if teachers will be still be needed, it get's my thoughts going wild! Of course we will always need teachers. Previous assignments have really got this to be my current soap box." Maybe what you mean is: I have become very passionate about the need for teachers from other readings and assignments in EDM310.

    "what other place to get better ideas from than those who share the same views?" I would strongly urge you not to restrict yourself to seeking ideas only from those who agree with you. Learning is most successful when we encounter new ideas, new attitudes, new "facts".

    "Her students are probably learning a great amount of knowledge by being able to do the research and post it in way that is unique to their selves." This would be better: Her students are probably learning a great deal by being able to do the research and post it in a unique way.

    Passionate. Thoughtful. Keep that up. But work on your writing. It needs improvement.

    ReplyDelete