Thursday, February 2, 2012

Blog Assignment 3

Technology in Special Education This video was eye opening to the importance of technology in classrooms. A classroom without technology looks like a room without life. The room was full of students without a compatible way to communicate with the teacher as well as fellow classmates. Without technology, the students are likely to become further behind on their assignments. Also, their learning capabilities are being stifled because of the time it takes for communication between the teacher and the student to take place. The special education classroom with technology looked like a room of totally different students. They appeared to be much more happy about learning and about being at school. They were able to communicate more effectively and faster than what they could do without technology. The computers able them to write and read better than they could with paper and pencils. I think it is important for people to see this video of students having computers and other technology in the classroom. I also am becoming more fond of the classroom blog. I am seeing more and more of teachers creating one and it being beneficial to the classroom. I am still curious to see what all is put on the blog. Who knows, maybe I'll even create one when I have my own classroom!
How the iPad works with Academics
Extra Special Kids:Producers of Little Lilly's Touch Book
I have seen first hand how an iPad can be used for a great learning tool. My daughter has been using my iPad since she was about two years old. From this she has learned all sorts of educational things. It really is an amazing thing to witness. The majority of the apps are games but yet they are learning tools at the same time. I think the apps make learning much more enjoyable! The app that I like that I would find suitable for a special needs child in the classroom is called Little Lilly's Touch Book. This app was made with special needs children in mind. Little Lilly is a girl with sensory issues. Lilly does not like the way anything feels on her feet. To a student with sensory issues, this app should help them relate to the situation and help them feel okay about being different. The app could be used during reading time as well. The story is read out loud while the words are highlighted. Each page also has special interacting games that can be played. I downloaded the app and played around with it. It really is great. Check out the other games also made by Extra Special Kids!
Gary Hayes Social Media Outlet I was amazed at high how the numbers are in regards to things done on the internet at any given second. These numbers show how much of the world is technologically advanced. More and more people these days have access to computers. They not only have access to computers, they know how to maneuver around the internet. Another thing that is changing in this day and age is the ages of the people using computers. My daughter, who is four, knows how to work the computer and does well finding her way around websites. This is a significant difference from when I was in school. Computers were not all that common. They definitely were not accessible to everyone like they are today. What these numbers mean for a professional career in education, is that technology needs to be worked into our curriculum. Not only should our students learn how to use the computer, they should be able to know about the internet. They can learn an endless amount of information from the internet. I think there are programs available on the computer and the internet that can teach certain things that are not available without technology. I also think that students will learn some things more effectively by doing some research for themselves. Some of the websites shown on the media outlet are things that are not available anywhere else. Take YouTube for example, it has a huge selection of videos that can show the class how something is done and allows for the class to post a video of their own. I am glad this information is available. It is nice to see some different websites that I should become more aware of since they are so popular with the rest of the world. Sites such as LinkedIn and Skype.
A Visions of Students Today This video goes along with the previous videos of this blog post. Technology is very important in the classroom. This cannot be stressed enough. As a student, I can agree with almost everything that the students in the video were saying. I spend more money on books that were never used than I can remember! I also spend too much time on Facebook and on other websites. Soon, I will be on the other side of the situation and I can start to see different points of view. I think as teachers, we need to figure out a way to interact better ways of giving information to our students so that certain resources are not wasted. We are past the days when a teacher just stands in the front of the room and lecture. We are also past the days of writing on a chalk board. Like the video said, the chalk board does not allow for videos or pictures. Videos and pictures are great visuals that are needed in a classroom. I do much better learning by seeing things and I'm sure I am not alone on this. I think it's time to stress online textbooks because they are cheaper and are more beneficial. We need to make a point to only stress things that will benefit our students outside of class. If we can make learning fun, students will be more willing to participate and learn. I think technology can make this possible!

1 comment:

  1. Your 4 year old can use a computer effectively? How awesome!! First hand proof, ladies and gentlemen, that technology is necessary to teach young children! Your post is very good but you did not include links. Links are required for every post.

    ReplyDelete